This is a vegan summer BBQ favorite. These vegan carrot dogs are a great alternative to traditional hot dogs and are a whole lot healthier too. The taste and texture is surprisingly similar to real hot dogs.
- Grill or frying pan
- 6-8 medium carrots
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 3 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 6-8 hot dog buns
- Peel and cut your carrots to the size of your buns.
- In a quart size zip-lock bag, add all other ingredients and stir or seal and shake to mix.
- Add carrots to bag and place in refrigerator for at least 6 hours, preferably overnight. Flip bag at least once.
- Place in steamer basket with 6-8 cups of water on the bottom. Test with a fork for perfect texture. Not too soft, not too hard.
- Remove carrots and grill on stove in sauce pan on the grill for a few minutes.
- Once grilled to your perfection, place in buns with your favorite toppings and enjoy.
For toppings, you can make cole-slaw which is a favorite topping for my carrot hot dogs.